Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Philadelphia

I'm returning from Philadelphia now, in the car with Joey Baseball, Gannon and 'Oh Sweet Jesus' Richards. Pet Shop Boys on satellite radio, arguments on the merits of a 'geepiss.' (GPS)

Of course we met up with Stu Peloquin, he was the impetus for the trip. Trevor beingnin the city for six weeks of practical education made the decision even easier. Aidan came down on the train last night but left early this morning. We've been here since midday Monday.

We didn't take in too much of the local history, but plenty local color. Cheesesteaks every day ( Geno's the unanimous favorite), a Celtics/Sixers game won by the green team on a Ray Allen three with half a second left. Several pubs with great food and cheap beer, the kinds of places I would frequent If they were in Providence.

We took pictures with the statue of Rocky and traced his footsteps up to the Philadelphia Art Museum. We went inside, too. Nice collection. The Mutter Museum featured medical oddities. It was extremely interesting, but I'm not the medical student the museum claims to cater to, just a gawker, as I suspect 98% of it's clientele are. Nonetheless, there's nothing like a skeleton of a man whose ligaments turned to bone to reinforce the notion in my head of the careful balance of life.

I have been to Philadelphia before, but this was the first time I felt I experienced it. I certainly enjoyed my stay, despite the four inches of snow, which is apparently abnormal.

No comments: