Thursday, February 5, 2009

Obama recap, not as cynical as it may appear.

One of the things that bothered me before, during and after Barack Obama's win in November was the speculation on what it meant.

Even during the inauguration, I couldn't help but feel skeptical about it all. The history of slavery in the U.S. is a reprehensible mar on this country. Racism lingers on in many forms. Does one man's amazing ascent to the White House change it that significantly?

I guess I had hoped, in the primaries, that it wouldn't matter that his father was born in Africa. Subconsciously, I guess I wanted the issue of race to be so dead it didn't matter in a negative or positive way.

Obviously I was wrong.

So now the inauguration has come and gone, and after enduring countless people tell me how the world was changing leading up to and immediately after Obama's inauguration, I feel it.

Maybe it didn't take as long for it to set in with some people as it did with me, but now I am looking at the world in a new way. Of course, the media has already moved on with other news.

No comments: